Jun 26, 2010

My First Farmstand!

With my garden having increased 5x in size since last year I have finally ventured into urban agriculture with my own farmstand. It just made sense - it allows me to grow and sample more varieties of vegetables, and planting a few extra vegetable plants doesn't increase my garden workload significantly. I'm located in Churchill (Richmond, VA) which doesn't have a proper supermarket, and corner stores either completely lack vegetables or have very poor selection and quality. I am grateful to be able to share organic, locally grown produce with the surrounding community in the hopes of improving nutrition, improving exposure to vegetable varieties not found in stores, and encouraging others to grow vegetables as well.

I'm selling tomato plants to start with, and have many varieties which are suitable for yards and/or containers. Determinate tomato plants reach a fixed height and produce fruit all at once, which makes them suitable for yards or containers. Varieties this year include: Totem Hybrid, Razzleberry Hybrid, and Container's Choice. Indeterminate keep growing in height as long as the season lasts and produce fruit over an extended period of time. Because of their large size and high nutrient demand they are not suitable for containers and should be planted in the yard. Varieties available this year include: Jelly Bean, Cherry, Rite Bite Hybrid, Yellow Pear, Better Boy Hybrid, Early Girl Hybrid, and Roma.

Small plants are $1 each or 4 for $3
Medium plants are $2 each or 2 for $3
Large plants are $4 each or 2 for $6

10-12pm every Saturday
12-2pm every Sunday
871 N 22ND ST (22ND & Carrington in Churchill)
View Tomato Plants in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment