Feb 11, 2010

Green Power Turns Me On

I had just moved from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, and was living in Richmond, Virginia for 6 months before I discovered that my electricity was being generating by coal. And here I thought coal power was reserved for 3rd world countries! I guess I just took it for granted that people in North America don't burn fossil fuels anymore. My bad. So I was pleased to see that Virginia Dominion Power offers a program to purchase sustainable energy.
Aptly enough, it's called Green Power. For $0.015 / kilowatt-hour you can buy a combination of wind, solar, and other similar energies to power your home. For me, this amounts to an extra $10-$15 on my monthly bill average bill of $120-$160. For those of you who aren't quite willing to spend the entire amount to completely switch over to green energy, you can purchase green power in $2 blocks.

If you purchase $10 of green power per month for one year, you will have reduced emissions equivalent to removing one car from the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment