Feb 18, 2010

Veggie Grow Op

Planted my seedlings yesterday...finally! Next year I'll try to start at the beginning of February. Our frost date in Virginia is about half-way through April. I mixed 1/3 organic seed starter, 1/3 store-bought manure/humus, 1/3 generic potting soil, a small scoop of blood meal and a small scoop of organic fertilizer. Last year I used 100% seed starter mix and it was really hard to water it thoroughly, because the water just beaded on top of all that peat!

Here's a google spreadsheet of the seedlings I planted in plastic, reusable trays:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aqvu0HFKFzwGdGZzczdJVGZXMEdzdjI2VVVrbDJLS3c&hl=en

I tried a number of new tomatoes this year, including jelly bean, a type of grape tomato, and yellow pear. I also tried Early Girl, an early fruiting variety that worked well for my neighbor last year. Of course, if all of my seedling grow I won't know what to do with them all - how would I ever use 72 tomato plants?!? But I figured I could sell some of the plants, and maybe plant some extra tomatoes this year, again to sell. After all, if I'm going to keep rescuing feral cats, I have to fund my efforts somehow (more on this later!)

No comments:

Post a Comment